Sunday, March 4, 2012

Angry Bird Cake Pops

I made these not too long ago for my son's 5th birthday and it was my first attempt at making cake pops.  I have to admit they were very easy but a little time consuming, but I would definitely make them again since the kids enjoyed them so much and I think they came out pretty cute.
The finished product!

This shows the Styrofoam I used to hold the cake pops drying.

The basket I used to transport my son's cake pops into school.

What you'll need to get started (I doubled the recipe because I needed a lot of cake pops - I would say I got about 50 or so cake pops from the below recipe)

  • cake mix - 2 boxes
  • frosting - 2 containers (you may only use 1 1/2, depending on the consistency)
  • large mixing bowl
  • lollipops sticks - at least 50
  • lollipop bags
  • melting chocolate wafers - 2 bags (I get mine at Michael's or AC Moore)
  • decorations (in this case I needed a couple of tootsie rolls, orange triangle sprinkles and candy eyes, which I also bought at Michael's craft store)
  • parchment paper
  • Styrofoam (I got mine at Dollar Tree, but any craft store should sell them)


Here's how I made cake pops:

  1. Since I wanted a huge batch of pops, I made two boxes of regular chocolate cake mix in a large pan.
  2. After the cake was done baking and cooling completely I crumpled it all up into a big mixing bowl and mixed it with about 1 1/2 cans of chocolate frosting.  Mix VERY well so that the frosting and cake are well incorporated.  Keep in mind that you can use whatever flavor cake mix and frosting that you would like to.
  3. Put the mixing bowl in the fridge to let the mixture set up a bit.  
  4. In the meantime, set up your lollipop sticks and anything you want to use to decorate your cake pops.  In this case, I used red chocolate flavored candy melts, candy eyes and a candy beak (actually part of a sprinkle set - I picked out all the orange triangles! lol) that I found in my local craft store.  Then I used tootsie rolls for the eyebrows.  Again, you can vary what you use to decorate the cake pops depending on the look you are going for.  
  5. Take your mixing bowl out of the fridge and start rolling cake balls, then placing them on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper.
  6. After you have rolled out all of your cake balls, put the cookie sheet back in the fridge to set back up while you melt your chocolate to dip them into.
  7. I actually melt my chocolate right in the microwave, starting with 1 minute, and then stir and adding 30 seconds and stir until the chocolate is melted.  
  8. Then take your cookie sheets out of the fridge.  Dip your lollipop stick in the melted chocolate and then place your cake ball on the lollipop stick (this will help the cake pop to stay on the stick) , then dip the cake pop into the melted chocolate, lightly tapping the side of the bowl to remove excess chocolate.  
  9. Then add the decorations that you want to the cake pops.  This is why it is a good idea to have all of your decorations set out on the work surface, because the chocolate will set up kind of fast so you have to work quickly.
  10. After your cake pop is dipped and decorated, place the stick in the Styrofoam (shown above) until the cake pops sets up fully (I would say it takes about a good hour for them to completely set up).
  11. After the cake pops are set up, you can individually wrap them in lollipop bags and put ribbon or twisty-ties to close the bag.  The options are limitless with what you can do with cake pops!
  12. I then chose to put the Styrofoam into a cute basket to bring into my son's class, plus it was easier to carry!  But again you can choose use almost anything to carry your cake pops in.
Have fun making your cake pops and enjoy them - they are delicious - I think they tasted like chocolate covered munchkins on a stick!

No comments:

Post a Comment